About Lawson Fuses

History of Lawson Fuses

Who we are

LAWSON FUSES plays a leading role in formulating fuse standards and specifications through its membership of the relevant committees of BSI, IEC, CENELEC, and other standards organisations. The company has sponsored and participated in many research and development programmes.

LAWSON FUSES was originally founded in 1938 specialising in the design, development and manufacture of HRC low voltage fuses. Having been an independent business for over 70 years, LAWSON FUSES was acquired by Lucy Group in 2018. The acquisition was part of Lucy Group’s strategy of acquiring businesses in complementary industries to deliver long-term sustainable growth. Lucy Group shares Lawson’s values of quality, customer service and engineering excellence.

The company moved to purpose built premises at its present location in 1960 and has subsequently expanded on both the original and adjacent sites. The present day modern facility comprises some 40,000 square feet of accommodation for manufacturing, research & development and customer service support.

For over 40 years LAWSON FUSES have been exporting Low Voltage HRC Fuse-Links to over 50 countries including; Hong Kong, South Korea, Australia, The Middle East and Africa giving the brand a truly International presence whilst still maintaining its British heritage.

In 2020, LAWSON FUSES moved its subsidiary in India from New Delhi to a brand new, modern manufacturing facility near Vadodara, close to Lucy Group’s other manufacturing facilities.

1938

Lawson Beck Limited Founded

1944

‘Pullcap’ range of Fuse Holders Patented

1947

Joined UK Post-War Electrification program

1950

Company re-named Lawson Fuses Limited

1951

Semiconductor Fuse-Links developed

1960

Business moved to a Greenfield site in Ponteland, Newcastle

1964

Started direct supply to UK Utility companies

1977

First Copper Fuse-Link elements established

1979

Direct exports commence

1982

Company products ASTA20 certified

1989

Company accredited to ISO9001

1994

Company acquires Broadway Electrical and its range of Fuse Holders

1999

Registered on UK Utilities Vendor Database

2003

Lawson Fuses India established

2004

Lawson Fuses trademark registered globally

2015

First $1 million order from Kenya Light and Power

2018

Acquired by Lucy Group

2020

Lawson Fuses India relocates to Vadodara

UK test facility ASTA accredited to ISO17025:2017

Get In Touch